There’s one thing finding the right product but the real trick is to make sure
you get the best out of them. Our cleaning tips are designed to make your
minds glow, give you that gentle nudge, roll up those sleeves and bring that
sparkle back to your home with glow cleaning products.
tip 6 Floor cleaning
Cleaning the floor is one of the most daunting tasks on offer throughout the home as it doesn’t just cover one room but the entire house! But don’t worry, glow has got you covered with our floor cleaning guide. In it we cover all materials and methods to ensure you have the arsenal to tackle all floors across your home. Make sure you look out for our top tips along the way.
Wood Floor Cleaning
Wooden floors are ideal for a quick clean and can be a lifesaver if you are prone to spills and stains. However, wood flooring is particularly prone to large build ups of dust.
Our easy to follow steps will have your wood floors looking immaculate in no time at all:
- Clear the area – Clear the floor area of any furniture that’s easily transportable, we recommend investing in furniture pads which will stop your floors from scuffing and make moving the furniture much easier.
- Vacuum or Dry-Mop Floor – Wood floors should be vacuumed or dry-mopped regularly. Before you begin cleaning make sure you vacuum the area removing all surface dirt and debris.
- Mop the floor – Dampen a mop in a solution with water and a few drops of glow® Washing Up Liquid or glow® All Purpose Cleaner. Be sure to ring out the mop thoroughly before using it on the floor. Run the mop back and forth, going with the grain of the wood in smooth strokes. Don’t use water if your floors are lacquered or shellacked as this can stain the wood and cause buckling.
- Buff floor with a cloth – Use a soft cloth in your hand to buff the floor. Ensure you rub the floor gently in a circular motion, this will make your floor shine!
Carpets are the number one choice for flooring in UK homes adding warmth, insulation, texture and a splash of colour! Cleaning carpet can often seem like an outfacing task that even the weakest of excuses will break; the carpet though, has many advantages over other flooring materials. What can put many homeowners off carpet flooring is how visible those unsightly stains can be, particularly if you have that cream carpet!
However, cleaning the carpet doesn’t have to be a hassle, armed with the right cleaner and cleaning know-how it can be a doddle. Follow our simple steps to carpet heaven.
- Carpets should be vacuumed at least once a week (preferably more) in areas of high dirt.
- Using the right products is key – unfortunately soap and water won’t cut it, you need to bring in the big guns and use dedicated carpet cleaning products.
Carpet Cleaning Tips
For tackling the whole carpet with a deep clean we recommend using a dedicated carpet shampoo. When using a shampoo ensure that you follow the guidance of the manufacturer listed on the label.
- Make up the solution with Carpet shampoo and dilute with water. We suggest 1 part carpet shampoo and 10 parts water.
- Use just enough carpet shampoo to cover the area.
- Do not make the carpet too wet
- Let the carpet dry.
- Vacuum the shampoo once it has dried
- Scrub particularly stubborn areas using a hard-bristled brush (be careful not to damage the material though)
- We recommend using glow Carpet Machine Shampoo
Stain Removal Tips
Stains are often unanticipated and unavoidable regardless of how careful you are. Whether it is calamity kids knocking cups and spilling juice, coffee stains on early mornings or red wine stains after a long week at work, stains just happen it is how you deal with them that is the key!
- Stains and spills need to be dealt with immediately, do not give them time to soak into the fabric.
- Spray carpet stain remover onto the carpet – spray sparingly to avoid soaking.
- Work in to surface with a clean cloth and leave for approximately 60 seconds.
- Dry with clean dry cloth then vacuum treat area.
- Repeat application on stubborn stains
- NEVER WIPE STAINS – Wiping stains will drive the stain deeper into the carpet, dab or blot stains for best results on fresh stains
- We recommend using glow Carpet & Upholstery Stain Remover
Ceramic Tile Floors
Though many ceramic tile floors are protected from dirt and grit by being glazed, surfaces can quickly become dull when not cleaned regularly. The easiest way to maintain a ceramic tiled floor is through regular sweeping, however to keep them sparkling a deep clean is needed every once in a while!
Follow our 3 easy steps to clean tile heaven:
- Clean Ceramic Tile Floors with a solution consisting of a mild detergent and water.
- Damp-mop your ceramic tile with a standard, all-purpose cleaner.
- Dry the floor with a soft cloth to avoid streaks.
- NEVER USE ABRASIVE CLEANERS – harsh texture of abrasive cleaners can scratch and ruin the glaze of ceramic tile floors
- Vacuum or sweep tiled floors regularly
- We recommend using glow All Purpose Cleaner
Stone, Slate and Limestone Floors
Stone, slate and limestone floors may seem like they can brave all manner of stain and mess, but as durable as these materials are you need to clean comprehensively and regularly to maintain their lustre and appeal.
Follow our tips to tackle the tiles in no time:
- Wipe up spills on unglazed floors immediately or they might cause a stain.
- Vacuum up or sweep any debris before cleaning
- Damp-mop flagstone or slate floors using an all-purpose cleaning solution in warm water.
- Wring the mop so that it doesn’t drip, and apply it to the floor in slow, even strokes.
- Dry with a soft cloth for a streak free finish.
- Regularly vacuum the surface of the floor and make sure you do so before cleaning
- We recommend using glow All Purpose Cleaner
Reseal stone floors every two to three years